People on the Internet love to talk about how much older - relative to their age - people looked back in the 80s and 90s. A popular example of this is that Rue McClanahan was 51 when she started playing Blanche on “The Golden Girls” in 1985, and by comparison, Jennifer Lopez is 54 and no one would consider casting J.Lo as a grandma.
Of course, there are all kinds of things, both in and out of our control that can make us look much older than we are. A Reddit post has people calling those out by asking, “What instantly ages someone?” The thread has more than 13-thousand responses so far and these are some of the best.
- “Lack of sleep. That’s why it’s called beauty sleep!”
- "Definitely children. I got my first gray hairs just after I had kids."
- “Having little ones is tough, but raising teens ages you in dog years.”
- "Bad plastic surgery."
- "Or too much plastic surgery. If you look like you have a lot of work, even if it's good but just different than you used to look, you're gonna look older because you look like you've had work done, and that on its own will age you."
- "The way you dress."
- "Cigarettes will absolutely age a person incredibly efficiently, both visually and health-wise."
- "Working in stressful environments."
- "Reminiscing about the show Dinosaurs."
- "Troubleshooting printer problems. I swear these devilish machines only exist to trigger me to smithereens."
- "Asking young people to make a phone gesture with their hand."
- "Or the 'take a picture' gesture."
- "Finding out a band you listened to when they first came out is getting inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame."
- "Or a song your parents were convinced would send you directly to hell now playing jauntily in the grocery store."
- "Back pain. You can't move like a young person if your back hurts."