Some people have dreamed of having kids since they were young, but being a parent isn’t for everyone. A Reddit thread asks those who are child-free by choice, “What is your pettiest reason for not wanting kids?” There are plenty of petty responses, and a lot of funny ones, too.
- "I have many reasons that are not petty, of course, but one that fills me with glee is knowing that now my racist narc mother-in-law will never have the grandkids she’s so desperate for."
- "I take pride in proving wrong everyone that said I'd change my mind."
- "Sleeping in/going to bed late."
- "I'm not done being a kid myself. Making up for lost time during my childhood now."
- "I hate children's TV shows. Loud, high pitched, etc. etc.
- "Not having to answer 'why?' even once per day to anyone."
- "I didn't want to gain weight."
- "I like delicate, pretty things. Children damage delicate, pretty things."
- "I want the option of leaving whenever I need to. I'm happy where I'm at, but I always want to be able to travel or just straight up move without worrying about a child's schedule."
- "My cat would hate it if she had to share me."
- "I like money, silence, and a tidy house."
- "Might be cruel, but every time my sister complains about how rowdy her kids get, I think, 'Never going to be me.'"
- "I want to spend my money on my games and books, not on children's toys and books."
- "Not having to worry about school districts or being close to schools when moving or relocating."
- "Fashion is my pettiest reason as to why I'm childfree, because I love dressing up and doing my makeup. I would HATE to give it up due to the lack of time and energy because all of it would go to raising kids. Forget about wearing heels as you can't run to catch your kid in them or you'll snap your ankle. 🙄 I'm a huge fashionista. I couldn't see myself not being one!"
- "I'm self-centered. I don't like having to live my life around others' needs. Making myself happy is my primary goal in life. I live for me."