We’re still sweating it out in the middle of summer, but it’s not too soon to look ahead to the season of all things cozy, plaid and pumpkin spice. These are the top fall fashion trends we’ll be seeing in the coming months.
- Preppy footwear - Styles from loafers to ballet flats to Mary Janes and riding boots will be big this autumn. These preppy shoes will go with tailored blazers, A-line skirts and button-ups, but you can also pair them with contrasting silhouettes, like loafers with cargo pants.
- Rich neutrals - Brown, beige, cream, gray and caramel are the colors for fall fashion and they look great mixed together or ultra chic in a monochrome outfit.
- Cargo styling - Cargo pants may be the most popular take on the trend, but midi and maxi skirts, as well as blouses and jackets with exaggerated pockets are also in for fall.
- All things red - Barbie pink may be having a moment, but red was featured in the Fall 2023 collections for Prada, Gucci and more designers. And don’t be shy with your shades, the bolder the better.
- Laidback tailoring - This trend is a spin on quiet luxury that takes classics like blazers, pencil skirts and suits and relaxes them a little. It’s not too fitted, or too loose and flowy and to play up the “laidback” part, pair tailored pieces with retro sneakers or simple T-shirts.
- Peplum tops - The flattering style gives the look of an hourglass shape and the 2023 version is a little looser and looks good with anything except skinny jeans and wedges.
- Belts - Whether you opt for thicker, low-slung styles, thinner ones, bold buckles or classic, simple leather, belts are in again.
- Silver foil - Metallics have been trendy for about a year and silver foil will be everywhere as the weather cools down. From faux leather pants to bodysuits to boots, mix your shiny pieces with denim and plain white tees so the silver can steal the spotlight.
- Maxi skirts - Think more 90s and less “Little House on the Prairie.” This season’s long skirts have slim silhouettes and look great with tucked-in button-down shirts, pointy-toe shoes and simple T-shirts.