There are some opening liners that are actually red flags, so be sure to look out for them especially. If they send you any of these dating app greetings, you may not want to waste your time messaging back.
- “Hey” or “hi.” It’s unoriginal and boring. They put zero thought or effort into it.
- “What’s up?” Another example of little to no effort.
- “How are you?” or “How’s your week?” Again, extremely generic.
- “You have a nice smile” or “Your eyes are beautiful” or “You’re cute/hot/sexy.” It’s basically just a generic compliment about your appearance… and why are they opening with a comment about your appearance anyway?
- “So, what do you do?” That’s a question for a date – don’t ask about work right off the bat on a dating app.
- “Want to get a drink?” You haven’t even spoken yet!
- “What are you looking for here?” It’s a great question, but for a date, or after you’ve been talking for a bit.
- “Do you believe in love at first swipe, or should I unmatch and swipe again.” The corniest of pick-up lines, right?
- Any type of negging or criticism. Negging’s basically putting someone down, showing indifference, or giving backhanded compliments…. so just no.
Source: Your Tango