Aldi is known for some high-quality groceries at good prices but some customers are saying that certain products are a no-go and have garnered tons of complaints. Here are six foods that these Aldi fans are saying you should stay away from.
- Fresh Produce – some customers are fans of Aldi’s fresh produce but others says that it can be hit or miss and complaints have ranged from rotten potatoes, packs of mushrooms riddled with flies and fruits and veggies that spoil too quickly. One Redditor said “Their fruits and vegetables are notoriously mediocre and need to be eaten immediately as well.” The chain’s fresh produce is grown locally and problems could be related to local suppliers but to be safe you should inspect their produce thoroughly.
- Corned Beef Hash – shoppers at Aldi have numerous negative opinions on the chain’s canned Corned Beef Hash. It’s sold under a private label brand called Brookdale and one critic commented “That canned corned beef hash was the worst canned food product I ever purchased in my entire life – and I’m 73.” Other comments said the product was like “wet mush” and “sludge” and it’s greasy as well and a Redditor said, “I felt like it had been mixed up with the dog food at the cannery.”
- Certain Meats – some Aldi customers are fans of their meats and others won’t go near it. Chicken breasts seem to get the most complaints with comments such as weird textured and a bit funky. One shopper on a Reddit thread said, “The last time I bought fresh breasts they were just weird texturally to a point that put us off chicken for a month” and others complained that Aldi’s marinated meats were too salty.
- Jarred Alfredo Sauce – this Aldi alfredo sauce has been described as “horrible” and “off-tasting” and another customer said this was one of the only products they would never buy again. Others say that the Priano private-label brand sold there was so bad that they have decided to make their own from scratch rather than buy this.
- Bread – most complaints about Aldi’s bread say that there are shelf-life issues and the bread goes bad in just a few days. While it can be stored in the freezer, some shoppers don’t like to freeze bread and this causes a headache if the bread gets stale quickly. A Redittor commented “If your family will eat it within a week you’ll be fine. But as a single person, I usually don’t make it through the loaf before it goes bad.”
- Certain Snacks – Aldi saves customers money by selling many off-brand versions of name-brand products and chips and snacks are included. Private-label knockoffs of Pringles and Doritos have garnered complaints and Clancy’s, the store’s private-label brand misses the mark. One customer said, “I just can’t get into any of the Clancy’ brand chips…they just taste off.”