We all learn things on the job and a Reddit thread has people sharing that insider info. It asks, “What is common knowledge in your profession that not a lot of people know about?” These are some of the top responses.
- "The lighter the coffee roast, the more caffeine it has. The darker the roast, the less it has."
- "Computer clouds are just someone else’s computers. Younger folks generally get this."
- "When doctors or nurses shock someone with 'paddles' or an automated external defibrillator (AED), it doesn't restart your heart, it actually STOPS it."
- "A family-owned grocery slicer is always more sanitary than a chain deli. Without fail. Typically, a family-owned establishment has two slicers, one for meat, one for cheese. They ALWAYS wipe them down between customers."
- "When you brush your teeth, do NOT rinse with anything afterwards. Just spit out the toothpaste. You get more benefit from the fluoride sitting on your teeth than just rinsing it off."
- "If a column fails, then it's very likely the whole building fails."
- "I used to work in fast food. A long time ago, we figured out when people ordered 'something fresh,' what they really meant was they wanted it hot, so we would just dump it back on the grill or in the fryer for a few seconds and then you’d have a piping hot patty/meat."
- "Fire engines don’t have keys to start them, just a switch or two. Anyone could steal a fire engine fairly easily."
- "You can over lubricate something; too much grease will cause just as much of an issue as no grease in things like bearings."
- "The manager is responsible for the horrible requirements on job descriptions, not the recruiter or HR person. We try our best to convince them they are ridiculous."
- "I'm an artist. Art isn't a talent, it's learned."
- "Most people will try anything but reading the instructions. I know this because I write the instructions."
- "Some of the best criminal defense attorneys are actually public defenders."
- "I'm a truck driver. My semi-truck can't stop as fast as your car. I need a couple football fields to slow down from highway speed, and that's in absolutely clear weather."