Unfortunately, not all couples last. But are there signs you can look out for that’ll show it won’t last? Redditor u/Gnerdy is here to help. He asked therapists of Reddit, “Couples therapists, without breaking confidentiality, what are some relationships that instantly set off red flags?” The professionals answered, and here’s what they said.
- “If either partner rolls their eyes when the other is talking or sharing. It's quick to notice and shows a lack of respect for the other partner's feelings. It's one of the easiest and most reliable ways to see that a relationship won't last. Of course, it is a sign of an unhealthy, underlying dynamic — eye-rolling in itself is not dangerous."
- "Getting married because they wanted a wedding, not because they wanted to be married."
- "Not expressing gratitude towards your partner on a regular basis. Experiences and expressions of gratitude can have a really positive effect on psychological well-being as well as relational strength."
- "Blaming their partner for all issues in the relationship and not taking ownership of their own role in dysfunction/issues."
- "I'm a marriage counselor in Texas, and probably one of the biggest mistakes that couples make is forgetting that they’re on the same team (they fight to win instead of fight to resolve). Focus on hearing and understanding each other and engage in disagreements with an eye on coming together, and compromise will follow easily."
For even more, click HERE!