Getting older does have some downsides, looking at you sagging skin and wrinkles, but there are some perks to aging and one of the best has to be that we’ve learned a lot along the way. A Reddit thread has people sharing that wisdom by asking, “What are things young women need to know?”
These are some of the genuinely thoughtful and honest responses:
- "If you feel uncomfortable, say something or remove yourself from that situation. You don’t need to put up with someone or something just to be polite."
- "Lots of people will tell you what they think about you and what you should do, and what you shouldn’t do. Not everyone’s thoughts are worth consideration. Don’t take criticism from anyone who you wouldn’t also go to for advice."
- "ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS negotiate your salary. I'm a compensation professional. I see this mistake made very often."
- "Self-care is not the same as being selfish. People-pleasing is not the same as caring or compassion. Codependency is not the same thing as love. You matter, and you have worth that goes far beyond what you can offer to men.”
- "Good men do exist — but no nice guy has ever had to say how nice he is."
- "If you feel you’re being followed, don’t go home, go somewhere very public or a police station."
- "Setting boundaries is strengthening relationships. It's also a safer way to do things."
- "You don’t need to have children if you don’t want to. In fact, you shouldn’t have children if you don’t want to. You don’t owe your family or a partner or anyone else children."
- "Invest in your education: Education is a powerful tool that can help you achieve your goals and unlock new opportunities.”
- “Advocate for yourself: Don't be afraid to speak up for yourself and assert your needs and boundaries. Learn to communicate effectively and advocate for yourself in both personal and professional settings.”
- “Financial independence is important: Learn to manage your finances and become financially independent. This can give you greater freedom and control over your life.”
- "Don't think that sex will make someone care about you.”
- "Clean your makeup brushes. Your skin will thank you."