Love is more than just a feeling, it’s an action. This is something you know if you’ve been in any sort of long-term, committed relationship, you know this well.
If you’ve been questioning if your relationship is the real deal, here’s a little check-in for you. If you truly love the person you’re currently with, you wouldn’t do these 10 things.
- Knowingly put yourself in a compromising situation. Like a late-night alcohol-fueled situation with a co-worker.
- Keep secrets from them. Especially if it’s important information.
- Share their secrets. Your parent feels safe with you, don’t ruin this.
- Blatantly disrespect them. This includes shouting, cursing or putting them down… especially in front of other people.
- Neglect or ignore them. They say that the opposite of love is indifference.
- Deny their requests for attention or affection. You and your spouse can spare a few seconds for a hug.
- Disrespect their family. You may not need to love them, but you need to respect them.
- Refuse to talk about important issues. Shutting down will make your relationship turn bad.
- You let them do all the work. Relationships are partnerships, where both sides need to make the effort.
- Set up win/lose situations between you. You two are a team! There shouldn’t be any keeping score.