Relationships take work. There are things you can do to proactively make your relationship a healthy one, and they don’t all need to be big things! Here are five small actions couples can do that’ll help make sure their love lasts a lifetime.
- Make time for one another in person. Don’t think phone calls or FaceTiming is enough. Also, don’t let being together in person fade as the relationship progresses. Schedule frequent time together, even if it’s just having morning coffee together.
- Maintain your relationship via constant communication. Don’t assume your SO knows what you’re thinking – they can’t read your mind. Even though it’s hard, you need to vocalize your thoughts and needs.
- Maintain a physical connection. Sex is central to this, but it’s not and shouldn’t be the only way. Holding hands, hugging, kissing, and snuggling are all other ways.
- Maintain the balance between giving and receiving in your relationships. You can’t always get what you want in life, and that includes in relationships too. Compromise is necessary.
- Expect both good and bad times. Every relationship has its ups and downs and there will be times when you and/or your SO is stressed. Don’t take things out on your spouse you shouldn’t and be patient with them when they’re going through a hard time.