Before you start your life with someone, you need to make sure you both are on the same page about a lot of things. How can you start a life together if you don’t even know what life you want to build?!
Licensed psychologist Dr. David Helfand, PsyD explained to “Today,” “One of the most difficult parts of a long-term romantic relationship is setting boundaries. Telling someone you love 'no' can be excruciating, so it’s helpful to have some level of information about their vision of the future and other core values about life before you commit to them.”
So how can you plan this future together and make sure you’re on the same page? Therapists and relationship experts both say asking these 12 questions are a must before walking down the aisle.
- What helps you relax?
- What makes you feel loved?
- What is our financial situation?
- What have you experienced that was really traumatic in your life?
- Where do you draw the line between secrecy and privacy?
- How do like to deal with conflict?
- What role should extended family play in a relationship?
- What are our deal breakers?
- How are we going to stay connected while maintaining our independence?
- How will we divide domestic labor?
- What's something about me that concerns you?
- What is our shared vision?