They say it’s the thought that counts when it comes to gift giving, but some holiday presents are definitely more appreciated than others. While we’ve all gotten presents we don’t love before, new research reveals people’s thoughts on “the worst gift ideas.”
A survey of more than 6-thousand people from the U.S., the U.K., Spain and Germany finds that while opinions on what makes a bad present varies, there are some shared ideas about the worst holiday gifts. Topping the list is defective discount items, which was ranked as the worst holiday gift by more than a quarter of respondents (28%).
The “worst gift ideas” for the holidays, according to the poll:
- Defective items bought at discount (28%)
- Fruitcake (23%)
- Weight loss items (21%)
- Political gifts (20%)
- Out-of-style clothing (16%)
- Cheap chocolates (13%)
- Christmas ties (13%)
- Weight scale (12%)
- Knockoff luxury items (10%)
- Gym membership (10%)
The survey also reveals:
- More than a third of respondents say last-minute shopping tends to result in bad gifts.
- 72% of Americans say they’ve felt disappointed or confused by a “bad” holiday gift and four in 10 of those say they thought the gift was insulting.
- But people think they’re good at hiding that disappointment, as 80% of American respondents say they’re good at faking their enthusiasm when opening a bad gift.
Source: Fox Business