Nostalgia reigns supreme during the holidays, so it’s no wonder we enjoy watching the same movies year after year. In fact, new research shows the most beloved holiday movie to watch during the holiday season is still “It’s a Wonderful Life,” which is now 76 years old.
A new poll of 2-thousand Americans who celebrate winter holidays commissioned by global streaming media platform Plex and conducted by OnePoll reveals:
- Watching holiday movies is the top holiday tradition (72%), followed by decorating the tree (66%) and baking cookies (55%).
- The favorite movies to watch during the holiday season include “A Charlie Brown Christmas” (42%), “Home Alone” (42%), “How the Grinch Stole Christmas” (35%), “The Polar Express” (32%) and “White Christmas” (30%).
- Favorite non-traditional holiday films people like to watch this time of year include “Die Hard” (25%), “Frozen” (23%), “The Sound of Music” (21%), “Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone” (12%), “Gremlins” (12%) and “Lethal Weapon” (11%).
- As for favorite holiday movie characters, those include Kevin McCallister from “Home Alone” (30%) and Tim Allen’s Santa from “The Santa Clause” (29%).
- When it comes to the top holiday TV favorites, “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” tops the list (60%), followed by “Santa Claus Is Comin’ to Town” (37%), “Friends,” The One With the Holiday Armadillo episode (19%) and the “South Park” Christmas Snow episode (14%).
- Nearly 40% (39%) of respondents binge-watch movies more during the holiday season than any other time of year.
- Over half (53%) of women say they go out of their way to make sure they can watch their favorite holiday movies and shows every year.
- And 52% of those polled feel watching holiday movies helps them bond with their family.
Source: SWNS Digital