Texting has become a huge part of dating. It doesn’t matter if you met the person on an app or IRL, you are most likely chatting with them mostly by texting. So how can you build a connection through a screen? These five texting strategies will help you build that connection and keep ‘em interested.
- Use their language. Pay attention to the words they use a lot, they slang they say, the punctuation they use (or don’t use) and try to tap into their world. Use their words and style, as long as it’s not totally different from yours, and you’ll have a cohesive vibe.
- Take interest in their lifestyle. Ask them about their passions, life experiences, family, and so on. Showing an interest in these things and learning them will help you build a strong foundation. People tend to like talking about themselves!
- Give compliments. Everyone loves compliments! It can go a long way, even with texting. Easy things like “You’re pretty funny. You sure know how to make me laugh” can really make them feel good.
- Ask open-ended questions. Open-ended questions encourage people to open up, meaning you’ll get to know more about them and the conversation will flow.
- Be authentic. It’s super easy to hide behind a screen. But this won’t show off the real you. Don’t try and be someone you’re not just because you’re behind a screen – it’ll do more harm than good, especially when it’s time to hang IRL.