First dates can be exciting… but they can also be super intimidating. What are you even supposed to talk about for all that time?! Or worse – what if a super awkward convo comes up?! Thankfully, matchmaker Susan Trombetti is here to help. She shared with “PureWow” five things she’d never say on a first date to help you steer the convo away from any potential awkwardness.
- “My ex and I are still really close.” It doesn’t show that you’re emotionally mature, instead it’ll make the other person wonder why you even broke up. Past relationships will come up in convo over time, but it’s not necessary to get into on a first date.
- “I want to get married and have babies pretty soon.” The relationship should develop first before getting into this. Getting intense too fast can be a major turnoff.
- “So how do you *really* feel about your job?” Of course it’s OK to ask them about their job but don’t get too deep about it on a first date. Also don’t ask any salary convos right off the bat.
- “Are you really going to finish your pasta?” Foodshaming is always a no, but it’s especially one on a first date. It doesn’t matter if you’re commenting on what they’re eating or not eating. Don’t do it.
- “So tell me about your ex.” Bringing up an ex – whether yours or theirs – makes it seem like you’re living in the past and not ready for something new.