Halloween is just around the corner, and it’s important to think about what candy you plan to give out to trick or treaters each year. And it turns out, where you live may play a big role in what candy you hand out.
- A new report by Instacart reveals America’s candy preferences by state, analyzing last year’s purchase data from their platform.
- Overall, chocolate is the most popular choice, with 84% of shoppers buying chocolate to give out to trick or treaters.
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups and Peanut M&Ms are the top Halloween candy choices, with eight of the Top 10 being chocolate treats.
Top 10 Halloween Treats
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups (our favorite in Arkansas)
- Peanut M&Ms
- Hershey’s Milk Chocolate
- Kit Kat
- Milky Way
- When it comes to chocolates by state, Peanut Butter Cups are most popular in the East, and in Wyoming, while folks in the West tend to go for Peanut M&Ms.
- Two exceptions to this rule are Hawaii, and New Hampshire, who prefer regular M&Ms.
As for other types of Halloween treats…
- Twizzlers are way more popular than Red Vines in most of the country, although states in the Pacific Northwest, and a bit of the West go for Red Vines, as opposed to the rest of the country.
- As for lollipops, the West Coast and some of the Southeast and Northeast prefer Dum-Dums, while the Midwest, and some of the South and North prefer Charms Blow Pops.
- When it comes to which states are buying the most Halloween candy, the Top Five include:
The states buying the least Halloween candy include:
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
Click here to check out the most popular Halloween candy in your home state!