One of the foundations to a long and healthy marriage is respecting each other. But how can you really show this? There are some steps you can take, not all easy, that’ll not both teach you how to show respect to help your relationship grow and let your partner know you respect them.
- Listen attentively to your partner's needs, desires, and concerns.
- Show that you notice your partner's needs, desires, and concerns by acting on what you discover about them.
- Speak words of acknowledgment, appreciation, and gratitude not only for what your partner does but for who your partner is.
- There are intimate details that only you are privileged to know; never violate confidentiality.
- When bringing a complaint, be careful not to go over the line to criticism.
- Speak directly to your partner rather than sharing your complaints with others.
- Banish all forms of contempt, including rolling of the eyes.
- When your partner makes unskillful choices, be compassionate and reassuring by saying something like, “We all make mistakes and can learn from them.”
- Support your partner’s choices whenever you can.
- When you make an unskillful choice, apologize as soon as possible.
For even more, click HERE!
Source: Your Tango