We’ve all been there. You’re stuck in an annoying conversation and you’re trying to think of a way out of it without coming off as an a**hole. So how can you end the conversation gracefully and not come off as rude?
- Start planning the next time you’ll see them. You may run the risk of them actually making plans, but a “I have to leave but let’s grab coffee soon” signals end of convo.
- Ask to connect on social media. Asking for any sort of contact info is a cue that a convo is over, and sharing social media over more personal contact info can be a safe bet.
- Shift the responsibility onto the other person. Make it look like you’d love to stay in the convo but you’re honoring their time over yours. Say something like “I’ll let you get back to what you were doing.”
- Find a sacrifice. Seriously, find someone to take your place. Introduce whomever you’re talking to someone else.
- Fake a bathroom emergency. The other person really shouldn’t follow you to the stalls. If they do, tell them it’s an emergency and you need to be alone.
- Lie (within reason). Fake a text or blame it on your kid/SO/roommate needing you.
- Make them want to leave the conversation. Talk about something that’ll make them want to leave the convo like how flat you think the Earth really is.