So you’ve match with someone on a dating app. That’s great! But now how do you start the conversation? Experts shared with “Huffington Post” some tips for how to strike up a conversation with someone you’ve matched with.
- Open with a question. They should be open-ended questions instead of “yes or no” questions. Also think of questions that parallel your interests.
- Pull inspiration from their profile. Look at their profile and reference pics or things in their bio as the opening message. Ask them about things!
- Play “this or that.” Can’t think of this question? Start off the game of “this or that.” Ask “chocolate chip or Oreo?” or “beer or wine?”
- Avoid boring, dead-end questions. Don’t start with “how was your week?” Instead try something like “What’s made you laugh the hardest this week?”
- Be playful. If there’s a pic of a dog on their profile, ask “Is your dog currently accepting new members of the pack?”
- Ignore traditional gender norms. It’s okay to make the first move! Don’t wait on the other person.
- Don’t lead with sex. Talking about sex right off the bat will make it seem like you just want a hookup and not something more serious.
- Be authentic. Don’t project what you think your match wants to see. Be you!
Source: Huffington Post