We can all use some more optimism in our lives. But with everything going on in the world (and everything we keep seeing on social media) how is it even possible?! Certified psychology coach Dawn Baxter stresses that it is possible for us to think a little brighter. She shared five tips with “Metro” on how we can all mentally get to a more positive place.
- Tackle negative self-talk. Ask yourself whether or not you would be saying these things to your six-year-old self. You’ll quickly realize whatever you’re saying can be damaging and bullying.
- Let go of perfectionism and comparison. Forget what anyone else is doing and focus on what you’re doing. Remember that social media is only part of the story, not someone’s full story.
- Change the structure of your day-to-day life. The habits that you’ve fallen into could be causing you anxiety or stress. Make sure you’re separating the parts of your workday from your personal life.
- Remember small steps can lead to big results. Feeling more positive doesn’t just happen overnight. Small changes will add up. Add positive habits as you get and get rid of toxic ones you realize you no longer have a need for.
- Sleep your way to positivity. When you’re tired, you’re grump. Be sure you’re getting a good night’s sleep. Six to eight hours a night is the average amount you need to feel fully rested.