What are green flags in a relationship? Licensed marriage and family therapist Robin Finley explains that "Green flags can be defined as positive qualities and signals present in our partner and relationship. Identifying green flags serves us in examining both the current health and future quality of our relationship." Here are nine green flags you should try to find.
- There’s open communication. Both in good times and in bad. It’s also expressing gratitude, sharing excitement, and more.
- You’re both honest and trust each other. Try to not even tell little white lies.
- You validate each other’s emotions. Listen to your partner and empathize with their emotions.
- You both share and feel safe. Both what’s on your mind, things that have happened in the past, everything and anything!
- You enjoy just being with them. You have fun together even doing the simplest things, like going grocery shopping.
- You want to integrate them into your life. Like introducing them to friends and family (and vice versa).
- You both prioritize growth. Reaching the different milestones is an ongoing process that will continue throughout the relationship. There’s always room to grow!