You’re not always in the same place emotionally as your partner. But it makes the relationship so much better when you are! Psychotherapist Dr. Barton Goldsmith is sharing five ways you can keep your relationship emotionally balanced.
- If either one of you gets your feelings hurt, stop and talk about it ASAP. Don’t let the feelings of hurt fester. It’s easier to clean up miscommunication by just talking about it and not letting the negative energy bubble inside of you.
- Accept that your partner can be happy with you even if they’re not happy with some other aspects of their life. Life can get complicated. Conflicts can arise. But that doesn’t mean that you don’t love your partner.
- Remember to show your love and appreciation. It’s easy to get over focused when you’re doing something intense. An easy fix? Give your partner a big hug and kiss when you realize this is happening.
- Check in with the one you love. Ask your partner how they’re feeling every day. You have to be more concerned about your partner than you are about yourself. Don’t let your own overthinking make you a bit selfish.
- Feelings aren’t always correct, so learn how to apologize. It’s easy to project negative or uncomfortable feelings onto your partner. Own the moments, sincerely apologize, and move on. Your relationship is more important than anything else that’s going on.
Source: The Wenatchee World