Long summer days give us lots of time for activities with family and friends. But it can be tough to find ways to keep everyone entertained — kids, especially — when you’re sticking to a budget. Fortunately, NBC News Senior Consumer Investigative Correspondent, Vicky Nguyen, is sharing cheap and free summer activities the whole family can enjoy.
- Head to your local park - Lots of cities show free or discounted movies at parks during warm summer evenings. Pack a picnic and enjoy a flick on a blanket for some low-cost family fun.
- Score discounted or free tickets - Sometimes movie companies set up free screenings before the film officially hits theaters. Sign up on sites like Sony Screenings, Warner Brothers Tickets and See It First to get an email when they’re available in your area. AMC offers a selection of AMC $5 Fan Faves every day for just $5 plus tax and Regal Crown Club members get discounted tickets and 50% off popcorn on Tuesdays by joining at Regal Value Days.
- Find free events in your area - Eventbrite lets you search free events from concerts to sports games in your zip code.
- Cool off at a museum - Admission at Crystal Bridges is always free! And Bank of America customers can visit hundreds of museums for free on the first full weekend of the month through their Museums On Us program.
- Check out your local farmer’s market - Find seasonal produce, local artists and all kinds of goodies at a farmer’s market near you.