When most people think of video games, they probably think of young kids and teens sitting on the couch wasting hours inside rather than playing outside. But a new report reveals they aren’t necessarily the ones wasting their days in front of a video game monitor.
The newly-published 2022 Essential Facts about the Video Game Industry report finds:
- More than 215 million people, or two-thirds of America, are regular video game players.
- Three quarters of those players are over 18, meaning most aren’t kids or teens.
- In fact, the average video game player is 33 years old.
As for how people are playing their video games:
- A video game console is still the most popular device for playing video games, with 70% of respondents using one.
- Other popular devices include:
- Personal computer (4350
- Tablet/iPad (26%)
- Virtual reality headset (7%)
- But why limit yourself to one, with 60% saying they play video games on multiple devices.
When it comes to why people play video games…
- 93% say they bring them joy.
- 91% say they provide mental stimulation.
- 89% say they offer stress relief.
Source: USA Today