How many dates do you have to go on before you know if you actually like each other and if there’s any potential there? According to the dating app Badoo, singles go on an average of five dates before they find someone they have chemistry with. That’s a lot of time to invest in someone, so wouldn’t it be great if you could know whether there are sparks between you sooner? Digital dating expert Perri Schneider says there is and it all comes down to asking the right questions.
Badoo’s research reveals that more than half of daters (57%) say it’s hard to know what questions to ask when they first start chatting to someone on an app. So to help singles out, Schneider has teamed up with Badoo on what to ask to see if sparks can fly with a match before you meet in real life. She assures us that dating chat is awkward for everyone, but her clients have had success with these types of questions:
- “So what caught your eye about my profile?” Why it works: It’s a flirty question that can suss out if there’s an initial attraction. It also sets them up to compliment you, which gives you a chance to reply with something you like about their profile.
- “If you had to talk about one topic nonstop for 20 minutes / give a TED Talk, what would it be about?” Why it works: Schneider says we feel chemistry when conversation flows effortlessly, so asking your match about something they care about helps keep the conversation going and gives you insight into what makes them tick.
- “I’m looking for a recommendation for (something you’re interested in) – do you have any suggestions?” Why it works: You need to share some common ground for sparks to fly, so asking this helps you find out what interests you have in common and makes your match feel appreciated, too.
- “Tell me about your biggest travel fail” Why it works: It not only breaks the ice, it gives you both a chance to laugh and allows you to find out how they cope when things go wrong.
- “What’s the best first date you’ve ever been on?” Why it works: Their answer tells you what they enjoy doing and sets you up to plan something even better for your first date.