Memorial Day weekend is here, which usually means folks across the country will be hitting the beach. But let’s face it, not all U.S. beaches are created equal. So, which ones are the best?
- Well, Stephen Leatherman, a.k.a. Dr. Beach, has come out with his 32nd annual list of the Best Beaches in the U.S.
- His list is based on 50 different criteria, with an emphasis on safety and cleanliness.
- He also awards bonus points for prohibition of smoking on beaches.
- Topping the list this year is Ocracoke Lifeguarded Beach in the Outer Banks area of North Carolina.
- He calls it his favorite beach, with "16 miles of undeveloped beach and American beach grass covered sand dunes."
- He notes that Ocracoke is an “idyllic island,” with “pristine beaches.”
Dr. Beach’s Top 10 Beaches in the U.S.
- Ocracoke Lifeguarded Beach, Outer Banks of North Carolina
- Caladesi Island State Park , Dunedin/Clearwater, Florida
- Coopers Beach, Southampton, New York
- St. George Island State Park, Florida Panhandle
- Duke Kahanamoku Beach, Oahu, HI
- Lighthouse Beach, Buxton, Outer Banks of North Carolina
- Coronado Beach , San Diego, California
- Wailea Beach, Maui, Hawaii,
- Beachwalker Park, Kiawah Island, South Carolina
- Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, Massachusetts