Twitter user @unfilteredMel83 asked “has anyone ever left a toxic work environment and had nothing lined up?” Her tweet received over 4,000 quote tweets and over 8,000 replies. More than half of the tweets were people expressing their relief and joy they felt once they quit,despite not having a backup plan. Here are some of their responses.
- “I quit a career job at 36. Married, mortgage, 2 kids. 72 hour work weeks and a 2 hour commute were killing me. Best thing I ever did.” –cornbread1119
- “Yup. Working at a yoga studio waiting for my next gig. Best decision I ever made.” –@sarahbellumPA
- “Yes, that’s me right now. Working 12-16 hour day, plus weekends for a chronically understaffed department was affecting my health. I lost 30 pounds and my Dr. told me to make it stop. I walked away from a 10k YE bonus because I was tired of the crap. Still looking 4 months.” –@DaNewt1
- “YES. It was an incredibly difficult decision and ruined me financially, but my mental health was more important than having a job I loathed, working with largely awful people.” –@clairywoowoo
- “I quit my job last month because it was literally eating away at my soul. Quitting gave me the energy to really find something better, and I’m about to sign a contract for a new job. Your job is NEVER worth your mental health.” –@xoxSai