Losing touch with a good friend sucks, but it happens pretty often.. especially once we reach the age of 25. It can be difficult to keep up with all of the people in your life when you’re struggling just to keep up with your own! It can feel awkward or uncomfortable to reach out to someone after a lot of time has passed. Here are some reasons why that may be.
- Hurt feelings. Some might take a natural drifting apart personally.
- Changes over time. We all change and grow, you might realize that this person isn’t the same person they were years ago — good or bad.
- Comparisons of different present situations
For whatever reason why you might feel uncomfortable reaching out to an old friend, here are some ways to might less awkward.
- Reach out via social media. If a text seems too formal, keep it casual with a comment or DM.
- Show some love. Make it known how much you still value their friendship.
- Bring back a fond memory. “Remember when…” can be the easiest way to initiate a conversation.
- Make your interest in catching up clear.
- Move past conflicts. No reason to dwell.
Source: Verywell Mind