If you’re feeling inspired by Bennifer 2.0, you aren’t alone. A 2013 study found that over one-third of couples who live together and one-fifth of married couples have experienced a breakup, later rekindled to get back together.
It can take a little bit more than just time to heal a relationship though. So if you’re considering giving your ex another shot, here are eight things you should do to make sure your relationship is successful this time around.
- Acknowledge past hurt
- Respect your partner’s perspective
- Discuss what you’ve learned since the breakup
- Figure out how to make this time better
- Get curious about both yourself and your partner’s emotions
- Create time to connect
- Make a list of the qualities that you both want in your relationship
- Disclose what needs to be disclosed