Whether you want to save for a lavish vacation or pay off some lingering debt, a second job can help you reach those financial goals faster. And these days, there are all kinds of side gigs that you can do without even having to leave the house.
Here are some side hustles you can do from home, according to career experts:
- Sell stock photos - Have a photographic eye? Use that skill to take pictures around your house and sell them for cash. Mitchell Stern, owner of the blog SideHustle.Tips says, “Companies like Shutterstock need stock photos of pretty much everything.”
- Rent out your computer’s processing power - The rise in crypto has led to this side gig and Stern says cryptocurrency miners will pay you to just leave your computer running overnight. “Basically, you’re renting out your processor during the time that you aren’t using it yourself,” he explains. “It’s also completely secure.”
- Rent out your personal property - Let all the unused items around your house make you some extra cash. Stern says things like power tools, baby gear, camping equipment and lawnmowers can easily be rented out on online peer-to-peer platforms.
- Teach online cooking classes - If you have pro kitchen skills, make some extra money by teaching others. There are sites that host online cooking classes, mixology classes, coffee classes and wine tastings and you could be teaching them if you have the know-how.
- Become a virtual assistant - If you’re organized and a whiz with Microsoft Office, you can pick up some freelance office work and the demand for virtual assistant services is up since the start of the pandemic.
- Become a search engine evaluator - According to Suzanne Howell, founder of The Remote Mom, search engine evaluation is one of the best side hustles you can do at home. She says it’s great because it doesn’t require special experience and it’s very flexible.
- Become a proofreader - Lots of companies hire freelance proofreaders and Kerry Francis, owner of VirtualBossMindset.com, says all you need for this side hustle is a PC, a stable Internet connection and excellent grammar skills.