Have you heard about TikTok’s “silly little walk?” The trend is popular on the social media platform and the #sillylittlewalk hashtag has nearly 150-thousand views on TikTok. So what’s it all about? The idea is as basic as it sounds - just get up, go outside and take a walk. There’s no specifics about how or where you walk and that simplicity may be what makes it so popular. And the best part of this trend is that it’s really good for your health - both physical and mental.
The benefits of taking a “silly little walk” include:
- It’s flexible - The sky’s the limit when it comes to personalizing your walk. You can walk to meet up with a friend for coffee or make a walking date with your bestie or even just stroll around the block a few times.
- You’re getting fresh air and vitamin D - Getting out in nature and soaking up a little sunshine can work wonders for the body, mind and soul, especially during the winter.
- It’s a good stress-reliever - A silly little walk gives you a chance to unplug for a few minutes and research shows walking can lower stress and anxiety levels, and boost your mood, too.
- You’ll burn calories - You don’t need a hardcore workout to get the benefits of exercise. Walking not only burns calories, it can also help prevent high blood pressure, heart disease and diabetes.
- It may protect against cognitive decline - A study of six-thousand women over age 65 finds that those who walk more often are less likely to experience an age-related memory decline.
- It can improve sleep - Having trouble getting the quality sleep you need? A silly little walk can help you sleep better, too.
- It’s good for your bones and balance - Walking can help make bones and muscles stronger, plus it enhances your balance and coordination.
Source: Eat This, Not That