Valentine’s Day takes on a whole new meaning when you become a parent. The holiday is still all about sharing and spreading love, but instead of just focusing on romance with your boo, you can shower your kids with some extra love and affection, too. Of course, little ones aren’t typically into candlelight dinners or roses, so how do you celebrate with them? Here are some ways to make Valentine’s Day special for the whole family.
- Whip up a special breakfast - We’re talking heart-shaped pancakes, chocolate waffles or seasonal “eggs in a basket” using a heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut the center of the bread.
- Pack a fun lunch - This year, February 14th falls on a Monday, which means it’s a school day for the kiddos. You can send the festive spirit of the holiday in their lunchboxes by cutting their sandwich into a heart, sending a sweet note or even adding an extra cookie.
- Wear festive clothing - Let your little one dress for the holiday in pink, red, pastel or covered in hearts. You can treat them to some new Valentine’s Day pajamas, socks, or headbands, too.
- Cut out paper hearts - Get crafty with some construction paper, scissors, glue and glitter, if you’re willing to deal with it being in your house forever … because glitter never goes away!
- Leave a surprise gift - Have an older kid who might be embarrassed by your outpouring of love? Show them you’re thinking of them by leaving a sweet treat on their pillow while they’re at school. When they come home they’ll find it and they might not even roll their eyes.
- Serve a special Valentine’s Day dinner - Whip up a DIY kid-friendly dinner party for the holiday. Make it stand out from regular, every night dinners by:
- Pulling out your fancy china and cloth napkins
- Putting a small stuffed animal, box of chocolates or another Valentine’s Day treat in front of your kid’s place.
- Writing a special love note and putting it on their plate.
- Talk about the food and people you love and things you do as a family that make you feel good.
- Watch a Valentine’s Day movie - Snuggle up on the sofa as a family for a love-filled classic like “Cinderella,” “Trolls” or “The Little Mermaid.”