Struggling to find time for self-care? Use your commute to your advantage. Whether you’re walking, riding or driving from point A to point B, you can use the time for things that will instantly lift your mood. That way when you arrive, you’ll feel happier and less frustrated, and your well-being will thank you.
Here are some ways to use your travel time to your advantage:
- Focus on your favorite song - Playing your favorite music will always add some joy to your day and Studies show that happy music is associated with mindfulness meditation, which can also improve your mood.
- Smell a calming scent - Before you walk out the door, take in those scents that appeal to you. Lavender and mint are popular essential oils that may calm you down and boost your mood, but if you prefer citrus or some other scent, bring it on.
- Take a few deep breaths - This one comes in handy when traffic gets your anxiety or stress going into fight or flight mode. Deep breathing takes you out of that reaction and helps you calm down. Try taking three deep breaths, inhaling for four seconds and exhaling for eight seconds when you need that reset.
- Catch up with a loved one - Your commute can be an ideal time to have an actual conversation with a friend or family member. Call someone who makes you feel loved and supported and you’ll arrive with a mood boost that improves mental health.
- Listen to your favorite podcast - Not one that’s work- or news-focused, we’re talking about one that makes you laugh or one that’s mental health-related from a source you trust, like a therapist.
- Prioritize a splurge - Treat yourself to a little reward, when you’re able. It can be as simple as driving the scenic route on the way to your appointment or buying an indulgent latte before you head to the office. Changing up your commute with these occasional treats will give you something to look forward to that’ll make you happy. And that’s what it’s all about.
Source: Huff Post