There are some things we see on social media that are just part of the norm. In reality though? They’re totally cringe-worthy. According to “Buzzfeed,” these Instagram trends need to stop being considered entertainment and should be labeled for what they really are –toxic:
- Cancel Culture: Yes, people should be held accountable but no, they should not be publicly shamed without being given a chance to explain themselves or learn from their mistakes.
- Sadfishing: Sadfishing is basically “crying for clout.” Celebs and influencers will go live during an emotional breakdown for sympathy.
- Glorification of overworking: Working hard is one thing but proving how hard you overwork on social media sounds beyond exhausting.
- The idea of a perfect life: Why are we still trying to look perfect on social media? It’s harmful to everyone involved.
- Filming strangers: This should be borderline illegal. Not everyone wants to be publicly broadcasted, especially depending on the content.
- Pranks and challenges that can cause physical harm: Humans reached a new low when people went around licking food at the grocery stores.
- Influencers giving out professional advice: Having a large follower account is not the same as having a degree or certification.
- Public grieving: Some people are too quick to start a hashtag after something violently tragic happens.
- Child influencers: Parents who exploit their kids for views… why?
- Recording yourself doing good deeds: There's no need to film yourself giving a meal to a homeless person… unless you’re clout chasing, of course.