For a lot of people, your twenties are a time to focus on fun and not worry so much about the future. But as you get older, you realize there are things you wished people warned you about when you were having all that twentysomething fun. Well, now people are doing just that.
A recent Reddit thread posed the question, “Redditors age 35+, what’s the best piece of life advice you can give to someone in their 20’s?” and plenty of people were more than happy to chime in with important things to think about.
- “If you're a good person and you know it, don't worry about how people judge you. The good ones will find you eventually and the confidence you have in the meantime will serve you well.”
- “Save 10% of every paycheck. Enroll in your company's 401k and max out their contribution. It is kinda crazy how fast money saves up (and how fast it spends when you need it).”
- “Pay extra money for quality items that separate you from the ground like shoes, mattresses (including sheets, pillows, blankets), tires, couches, lounge chairs, etc). Also, protect your hearing because you can’t ever get it back.”
- “Take care of your teeth. They’re expensive to fix.”
- “It's never too late, but if you spend your life telling yourself it's too late then it eventually will be.”
- “Find friends through shared mutual interest, not just drinking.”
- “You don’t deserve to be treated like sh*t by the people who are supposed to love you, and it’s okay to walk away from a toxic situation that is affecting your own quality of life.”
- “It’s never too late to get into better physical shape. Ever. It does you good in all sorts of ways.”
- “The party/sex/drugs lifestyle isn't worth it. The memories aren't even that good and they'll leave you with health problems for the rest of your life. Go to school, get a job, and live life like a good boy or girl and you'll be happier ten years from now than if you went partying all the time.”
- “Everyone is winging it. Don't compare yourself with others, you only see their life from the outside. No matter how well it looks like other people are doing, we're all just winging it.”
- “Stop making the excuse of “I’m not ready yet/I’m not good enough yet” shut up and do it now.”