Some families enjoy sweet holiday traditions together, other families like to pull pranks on unsuspecting relatives. A Reddit user shared the best prank their mom played on them during the holidays and asked others to join in. These are some of the awesome and messed up pranks kids had to endure during the holidays:
- “My mom swapped our 24-pound Thanksgiving turkey with a cornish hen nearly giving my 10-year old self a heart attack,” writes one Redditor.
- “New Year's Eve, 1999. My whole extended family had gathered for a party. If you recall correctly, at the time, people were wigging out about Y2K making everything on the power grid freak out,” explains a user. “The time comes to watch the ball drop. The TV snaps off and the whole house goes black. While my family tried to light candles, I find my father and uncle next to the circuit breaker, laughing as quietly as they can.”
- “My parents gave me socks for Christmas when I was little,” recalls another user. “I was supremely upset, but I knew they’d discipline me hardcore if I complained, so I pretended to be grateful. I started checking my new socks out when a $50 popped out of them. My parents started laughing while I looked at the bill dumbfounded.”
- “I told my parents that all I wanted was the new Kirby’s Dream Land game for GameBoy. When it came time for presents, there was a huge one for me,” shares one user. “After pulling the wrapping off, I discovered it was a Kirby vacuum cleaner box. After a while of me dying inside, my parents began to laugh and told me to open the box … and I found the game cartridge waiting at the bottom.”
- “Ever since I can remember, my parents have let my sister and I open one present on Christmas Eve. One year, there were two GIANT boxes under the tree,” writes another. “Everyone watched as my sister and I tore through the wrapping paper and ripped open the boxes. Once we got to the bottom of the box, we stopped, confused as to why there was a brick duct taped to the bottom of the box and nothing else, while my mom was laughing in the kitchen for 15 minutes.”