And just like that, it’s the holiday season again. As much as we love all the cookie-eating, gift-giving and catching up with loved ones at this time of year, it also comes with some less than fabulous parts we’d rather skip. These are some easy ways to deal with some common sources of holiday stress so you can keep enjoying the most wonderful time of the year.
Stressor: Awkward dinner table talk - The fix: Prepare safe conversation starters
- From rants about vaccine mandates to intrusive questions about when you’re going to have kids, the holidays can be full of uncomfortable conversations with loved ones. While you’d probably love to rip into your cousin over his views, a holiday gathering isn’t the time. So having a few “I’m changing the subject now” questions ready to go can help, like what shows they’re watching these days.
Stressor: Supply chain issues - The fix: Start shopping now
- With shipping delays, low inventory and higher prices potentially impacting holiday shopping, it’s time to get on top of it now to avoid problems.
Stressor: A too-full social calendar - The fix: Setting boundaries
- Already dreading night after night of cocktail parties, cookie swaps and holiday gatherings? Skip that stress by prioritizing yourself and your sanity by knowing your limitations and saying no to some invitations.
Stressor: Spending too much money on presents - The fix: Creative gifting
- It’s easy to go over budget buying gifts for everyone on your nice list, but there are lots of low-cost options that can help keep you on track financially. Whip up some tasty holiday treats or DIY gifts like a hand-knit beanie or give photos to your nearest and dearest. And remember, it really is the thought that counts.
Stressor: Wanting everything to be perfect - The fix: Cut yourself some slack
- If you start out with sky-high expectations, you’re bound to be disappointed, so try to remember that perfection isn’t the goal. Just because your Thanksgiving dinner doesn’t look like a Norman Rockwell painting doesn’t mean it’s a failure. Soak up the time with the people you love because that’s what it’s really all about.