It might not quite be time to trade in your tank tops for scarves and jackets yet, but the first day of fall is this week and that means it’s officially Pumpkin Spice Latte season. Some coffee drinkers look forward to indulging in a sweet PSL all year, but sometimes you just want something lighter.
Luckily, whether you’re watching your carbs or your sugar, a Starbucks barista can still whip up a seasonally appropriate drink made with better-for-you ingredients that gives you the flavors you want. Here are some options to try when you’re looking for a healthier way to get your fall beverage on:
- Chai Tea- Made with no added sugars, this black tea is infused with warm clove, cardamom, cinnamon and ginger for the flavors you’re looking for. If you want to add some sweetness, a dash of stevia or honey will do the trick.
- Oat Milk Latte with Pumpkin Spice topping- For the taste of a classic PSL without the added sugar and calories, order a latte made with oat milk and ask for a sprinkle of Pumpkin Spice topping. That way you’ll get the cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and clove flavor without the sugar rush.
- Steamed Apple Juice with Cinnamon- Order a freshly steamed 100% apple juice with a sprinkle of cinnamon on top for extra fall flavor without added sugars or artificial flavorings.
- Caffè Misto- This is half brewed coffee, half steamed milk and you could add some of that Pumpkin Spice topping for a little fall flavor.
- Skinny Cinnamon Dolce Latte- Made with espresso, steamed nonfat milk and Starbucks’ Sugar-Free Cinnamon Dolce syrup, this cozy beverage will only set you back 100 calories for a Tall size.
- Honey Almondmilk Cold Brew- Since many of us are still sweating it out with summer temperatures, you may prefer a cold drink to a warm one. This cold brew coffee is made with almond milk and it’s “lightly sweetened” with a touch of their Honey Blend and it only clocks in at 50 calories.