Is your social life getting in the way of your healthy routine when the weekend rolls around? Going out with friends for dinner and drinks can lead to overindulging and it’s easier to justify skipping workouts when a fun invitation comes your way. So how do we stay on track with our health goals and not feel like we’re missing out on anything? Create habits that fit into your weekend mentality.
These tips can help you still enjoy the weekend without undoing your progress:
- Plan a fun activity that involves some kind of movement- You can skip the gym and still get your sweat sesh in by incorporating exercise into your weekend plans. Walk to the farmer’s market, take a family bike ride or do anything else that’s social and active so you can cross your workout off your to-do list.
- Drink lots of water- You still need to stay hydrated on Saturday and Sunday, so fill up that water bottle and bring it wherever you go so you get all the water you need without affecting weekend plans.
- Say yes to the unhealthy foods- If you want something sweet, cocktails or other indulgences, go for it. It’s fine to enjoy a treat so you don’t feel deprived, just do it in moderation.
- Try cooking a new meal- Instead of going out to eat, find a new recipe you want to try and cook it on the weekend when you have more time.
- Do yoga in the morning- Start your Saturday and Sunday with a quick yoga routine to improve flexibility and increase relaxation. Even if it’s just a 10-minute session, begin the day with yoga to help center yourself, combat stress and remind you that you and your health goals are a priority.
- Know before you go- If you’re heading to a new restaurant, it pays to check out the menu before you arrive. Having no idea what they serve can be challenging when you’re trying to stick to a healthy diet, but looking into it beforehand can help you make an informed decision.