Relationships take work. Every relationship is different, but there are some common challenges most relationships face. “The Independent” spoke to different dating experts to learn what the hardest parts of being in a relationship are, and how you can overcome them.
- Mutual respect. Understand you will not always agree on everything. Focus on how grateful you are for the role they play in your life.
- Defining the relationship. When are you just “seeing someone” and when are you “committed?” Before having that convo, pay attention to what your partner is saying about commitment – or their not wanting of commitment.
- Lack of communication. Have time dedicated to just talk with your SO and practice active listening. Try not to just accuse and blame.
- Carving out one-on-one time. Life is busy. But make time for each other, especially time that’s technology free, such as a walk or brunch.
- Physical intimacy. Lack of sex will affect other areas of your relationship. Find time for physical touch – it’ll release “the love hormone!”
- Know when it’s good to go with the flow, but also how to clearly express your needs.
- Fights happen. But how you argue, and how you move on post argument makes all the difference.