It’s no secret that a lot of us are out of shape, but who knew it was this bad. There are some exercises like pushups, that we’ve all been doing since we were kids, but it turns out very few of us are in enough shape to pull them off these days.
A new Gymless survey finds:
- The majority of Americans can’t do more than 10 pushups.
- How bad is this?
- Well, the American College of Sports Medicine says the nationwide standard for men between 20 and 49 should be between 13 and 28 pushups, and for women in the same age range it should be between 11 and 20.
- Overall, 53.8% of men and women can only complete 10 or fewer pushups.
- 36.5% can pull off less than five pushups.
- 17% can do between six and 10.
- 14% can do between 11 and 20.
- 10.6% can do 21 to 30.
- And only a little over 20% can do more than 30.
- 11.8% of people actually could do 50 or more.
- And it seems women are a bit worse off than men.
- Of those who say they can’t do more than 10 pushups, 69% were women, compared to 31% who are men, regardless of age.
- The majority of those who could only do five or fewer pushups where under the age of 55.