Want to make sure you stick around for a long life? While we know there are some things we do that can cut our lives short - like smoking - longevity experts say some healthy habits can actually add years to our lives. These are the things to add to your daily routine to boost your lifespan.
- Maintain a healthy body weight- This is number one on the list because being obese has been proven to shorten your life. Excess weight and visceral fat can lead to a heart attack and diabetes and a newreportfrom the American Cancer Society finds obesity could soon beat out smoking for the number one cause of cancer. So what is a healthy body weight, exactly? TheCDCrecommends your body mass index falls within the range of 18.5 to 24.9.
- Drink coffee- The beloved morning beverage cuts your risk of liver problems, according to a recentstudyand it’s been linked to a lower risk of Parkinson’s disease, prostate cancer and melanoma.
- Use sunscreen- It not only protects you from skin cancer, slathering on the SPF also helps your face and body age less. Coat your skin with sunscreen 15 minutes before going outside because it takes that long to absorb and do it’s thing and be sure to reapply often, especially when you’re swimming or sweating.
- Exercise for 30 minutes a day- This is the amount of time The Mayo Clinic recommends to keep your heart happy, get your blood flowing, and lower the risk for metabolic syndrome, stroke, cardiovascular disease and diabetes. Plus, research fromAmerican Physiological Societyfinds working out for half an hour helps with weight loss too.
- Prioritize your happiness- No one’s happy all the time, but looking on the bright side can help. According to onestudy, having a positive outlook leads to better health and a review of35 different studiesfinds that “positive psychological well-being has a favorable effect on survival in both health and diseased populations.”
Source:Eat This, Not That