Grilling season is here and for some folks, that’s the best part of summer. But while you’re enjoying those laid-back cookouts, you’ll need something to sip on. Wine drinkers, these are the best wine pairings to enhance the flavors and textures of your favorite grilled dishes.
- Grilled seafood with rosé- It’s not just for sipping poolside, a bright, refreshing rosé also compliments shrimp, lobster and grilled fish. Recommended bottles includeH3 Rosé 2019with grilled tuna andDAOU Vineyards Rosé 2019with grilled salmon.
- Grilled chicken with chardonnay- Grilled chicken is a summertime classic and no matter how you prepare it, a classic chardonnay pairs well with it. If you’re slathering your bird with barbecue sauce, tryLa Crema Sonoma Coast Chardonnay 2018and if oaked chardonnay isn’t your thing, you may like your grilled chicken with a bottle ofYalumba Y Series Unwooded Chardonnay 2019.
- Grilled steak with cabernet sauvignon- You need a bold wine to stand up to the robust flavors of grilled steak and cabernet sauvignon is a top choice. Wine experts suggestGrounded Wine Co. California Cabernet Sauvignon 2019andChateau Ste. Michelle Cabernet Sauvignon 2017.
- Grilled vegetables with sauvignon blanc- After you hit up the farmer’s market and load up on fresh summer produce like bell peppers, eggplant, tomatoes and corn, tossing them on the grill can elevate their flavors. To compliment them best, you’ll want a crisp, light white wine with “bright acidity” - which you’ll find in a sauvignon blanc.Spy Valley Sauvignon Blanc 2020andVeramonte Sauvignon Blanc 2019both pair nicely with grilled veggies.
- Grilled pork with zinfandel- From smoky ribs to succulent grilled pork chops, a zinfandel is a good match for pork. This red wine with cherry flavors, spice and sometimes a touch of smoke and maple is smooth and some even like it slightly chilled, which may be ideal on a hot summer night.Bonterra Organically Grown Zinfandel 2019pairs well with barbecued pork ribs and for grilled pork chops, tryMurphy-Goode Liar's Dice Zinfandel 2015.