When it comes to their bodies, a lot of people have a hard time loving how they look, and it certainly sounds like some people are really tough on themselves.
- The YouGov Body Image study asked Americans how they feel about their bodies, and the responses were a bit startling.
- When asked to describe themselves, 31% of people chose the word “average.”
- Other common descriptions include:
- Chubby (21%)
- Overweight (20%)
- Slim (14%)
- Athletic (13%)
- Not surprisingly, women seem to be a bit harder on themselves than men.
- Women are more likely than men to describe themselves as overweight (25% vs. 15%).
- Men are more likely than women to describe themselves as athletic (18% vs. 9%).
And it’s pretty apparent folks are very critical of themselves when compared to other people.
- When asked if they consider themselves more attractive than other people, 47% responded that they were “about average.”
- Only 24% of people say they are more attractive than the average person, with 5% confident they are “much more attractive.”
- 15% actually describe themselves as “somewhat less” attractive than the average person, while 9% say they are “much less” attractive.
And all these body issues could be causing problems in the bedroom.
- 49% of adults say they are thinking about how their body looks during sex either a great deal, or somewhat.
- 15% say their body confidence “constantly” impacts their sexual relationship, while 30% say it sometimes does.
- On the bright side, 47% say they don’t think about their appearance during sex very much or at all.
- Women are more likely than men to think about how their body looks during sex (59% vs. 38%).