Memorial Day weekend is here, which usually means folks across the country will be hitting the beach. But let’s face it, not all U.S. beaches are created equal. So, which ones are the best?
- Well, Stephen Leatherman, a.k.a. Dr. Beach, has come out with his 30thannual list of the Best Beaches in the U.S.
- His list is based on 50 different criteria, with an emphasis on safety and cleanliness.
- Topping the list this year is Hapuna Beach State Park on Hawaii’s Big Island.
- “It’s like an oasis,” he says, noting the sand “looks super white there because of the black lava beside it,” adding, "I think the contrast makes you think, ‘Oh my gosh, I’ve never seen sand so white in my life.’”
Dr. Beach’s Top 10 Beaches in the U.S.
- Hapuna Beach State Park, Hawaii’s Big Island
- Coopers Beach, Southampton, New York
- Ocracoke Lifeguarded Beach, Outer Banks North Carolina
- St. George Island State Park, Florida Panhandle
- Lighthouse Beach, Buxton, Outer Banks of North Carolina
- Duke Kahanamoku Beach., Oahu, Hawaii
- Caladesi Island State Park in Dunedin Clearwater, Florida
- Coronado Beach in San Diego, California
- Beachwalker Park, Kiawah Island, South Carolina;
- Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, Massachusetts