Memorial Day weekend is almost here, which means plenty of people will probably be barbecuing this weekend, and for many weekends throughout the summer. While some people get fancy with their grilling, there’s nothing like a good old hamburger from the grill, and apparently folks have some specific opinions on what exactly constitutes the perfect burger.
A new survey by the National Cattleman’s Beef Association finds:
- Forget meat substitutes, the perfect burger is a beef patty, preferably one that’s thick.
- 24% of folks feel it needs to be on a sesame seed bun to be perfect.
- As for toppings, 78% of people say they could “make or break” a burger.
- 33% say toppings are the most important part of a burger.
- Overall, cheese is the most popular burger topping (48%), and for many, that cheese needs to be American (34%)
- Other toppings for the perfect burger include:
- As for condiments, 46% say the perfect burger must have ketchup, while 43% say it needs mayo.
- And that perfect burger must be eaten with fries (70%), that are cut into wedges (14%)
- ONE MORE THING! The poll surveyed people from each state and found that folks in Alaska are the most likely to say their state is know for their burgers (83%), followed by Illinois (80%), and New York (76%).