Whatever your thoughts on social media are, it’s pretty apparent it’s not going away anytime soon, and a new survey delves into who is using it and what sites they visiting. A new Pew Research poll finds:
- 72% of Americans say they use some type of social media.
- When it comes to most popular sites, YouTube is tops, with 81% of people using it, followed by:
- Facebook (69%)
- Instagram (40%)
- Pinterest (31%)
- LinkedIn (28%)
- Snapchat (25%)
- Twitter (23%)
- WhatsApp (23%)
- TikTok (21%)
- Reddit (18%)
- Nextdoor (13%)
Of course, social media use does vary by age.
- In fact when it comes to Gen Z (18 to 29-year-olds), social media use increases to 84%.
- Meanwhile, 81% of those 30 to 49 use social media, as does 73% of those 50 to 64 and 45% of those 65 and older.
- When it comes to specific platforms, Gen Z are more likely to use Instagram (71%), Facebook (70%), Snapchat (65%) and TikTok (48%).
- But in comparison, only 2% of those 65 and older use Snapchat, and only 4% use TikTok, but 50% use Facebook.
As for the amount of time people are using social media sites:
- 70% of those polled use Facebook daily, with 49% using it several times a day.
- 59% say they use Instagram daily, with 38% visiting several times a day.
- YouTube may be the overall most popular social media site, but only 54% say they visit it daily, with 36% visiting several times a day.
- 46% of people visit Twitter daily, with only 30% going on it several times a day.