While there are some people who love a good surprise, not everyone is a fan. But whether you are a fan of surprises may depend on whether that surprise is a good one or not, and now a new survey reveals American’s thoughts on the best and worst surprises out there.
The poll, conducted by OnePoll on behalf ofAffirm, finds:
- Unexpected money is a surprise a lot of people like, with 49% of Americans saying randomly finding money, either on the street or in their pocket is the best type of surprise out there.
- Another financial surprise folks are fans of? Getting a tax refund (46%).
- Some of the other best surprises include:
- Surprise parties (48%)
- Surprise visitors like family or friends (37%)
- Engagements (35%)
- Pregnancies (33%)
- A puppy/pet (30%)
- A snow day (28%)
- Canceled plans (20%)
- Pushed deadline (13%)
But not every surprise is a good one, and the top three worst surprises also involve money.
- The absolute worst, according to 57% of people, is getting a bill higher than you thought it would be.
- That’s followed by having to owe money on your taxes (46%), and getting a late fee on a credit card (37%).
- Other bad surprises include:
- Child breaks something (31%)
- Pet has an accident in the house (31%)
- Unexpected visitors (I.e., the in-laws) (29%)
- Canceled plans (27%)
- Going on a date with someone and they don't match their profile photo (20%)
- Last-minute video meeting (20%)